Tuesday 3 July 2012

Desperately Seeking Marie Antoinette



A few years ago I was playing through Betty Paret’s ‘Second Harp Book’ and came across the gorgeous ‘Queen’s Music’ by none other than Marie Antoinette, last Queen of France. It’s actually a song with the title ‘C’est mon ami’ written for voice and accompaniment, which could quite possibly have been the harp given Marie Antoinette’s love of the instrument. And as a further actually, it’s one of two songs written by the Queen, the other being ‘Portrait Charmant’.

I’m in the middle of putting together a concert programme at the moment with my good friend Sarah the Singer.



As an aside I have to refer to her as Sarah the Singer as I have 3 Sarahs in my life: Sarah the Singer, Sarah the Flute and Sarah with the Twins. What was really freaky was when they were all pregnant at the same time, especially when I received an invite in the mail to Sarah’s Baby Shower. But which one??!! Turned out to be Sarah with the Twins.

ANYWAY. Sarah the Singer and I will be doing some performances in September/October of music from France c.1780-1830 and we would love to do the Marie Antoinette songs. But to do so we have had to temporarily take of our musician hats and put on our internet sleuthing hats, for these songs are not easy things to track down.

So Dr. Watson, let’s work our way through the trail….

There is a beautiful YouTube vid of ‘C’est mon ami’ with Sandrine Chatron playing harp



I would love to get in touch with Sandrine but haven’t found an email address or anything like that for her.

www.marieantoinette.org is a fairly scholarly site to whom I have addressed an enquiring email. I’m yet to hear back but fingers crossed someone there can help.

There’s a site dedicated to all things Marie Antoinette which features a page of music connected with the Queen http://www.ladyreading.net/marieantoinette/index-en.html . From here we were able to get a copy of the vocal line and lyrics for ‘C’est mon ami’. When combined with the Betty Paret solo harp version we have enough info to put together our own arrangement. Yah!

Sarah and I have both tried to purchase Mayuko Karasawa’s recording of the two Marie Antoinette songs mentioned on the ladyreading.net page, but due to vagaries of the internet which I don’t get at all we can’t buy it as a digital download in Australia. How this can be I do not know. Mayuko has very kindly answered an email we sent her but unfortunately could only refer us to the same iTunes or Amazon downloads that won’t work for us. So at the moment we are scratching our heads to see if we know someone in another country who could buy it for us and forward it on. And this technology stuff is supposed to make our lives easier…

To be honest though what we really need is the sheet music of the second song ‘Portrait Charmant’ but it seems to be one very elusive little song.

Well, I really don’t know where to go next with this one, but I am loath to give up on performing the two songs. Anyone out there in blogland have any suggestions?

P.S. Since I posted this I had response from Clare at www.marieantoinette.org who is based in Melbourne- wow what a small world! She was very helpful but unfortunately we're still no closer to the elusive 'Portrait Charmant'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...