Monday 7 May 2012



Hello! Welcome to 243 strings- a blog about the world of music, the harp and my practice room.

My name is Megan and I am a freelance harpist based in Melbourne, Australia. I’ve been performing and teaching for twenty years now (!). You can check out my website at www.melbourneharpmusic.com for more info.

As a brief synopsis though I pretty much play anything anytime. And it is this variety that I love most in my job. I’ve played hip hop with Kanye West and opera with Jose Carreras. And most weekends you’ll find me playing Pachelbel’s Canon at a wedding somewhere. I’m frequently amazed and constantly thankful at the diverse range of music the harp can be associated with. It’s never boring!

It’s this excitement and diversity, as well as the quirky little stories that happen along the way, that I’d like to share with you.

And the title- 243 strings? Well, I do love my harps, and now own seven of the things, a total of 243 strings. Each harp has a different role and together they represent that variety and diversity I mentioned before.

In the coming weeks I’ll introduce you to them all, as well as taking a look at what’s on the stand, what’s in the gig bag and what’s on the ipod. Practice, attempting to file all my sheet music (definitely a work in progress…) as well as life outside the harp- that’s all part of it as well.

So settle back, subscribe and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...